Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday
image-607″ />VIRGINIA – Starting May 25 through May 31 residents can purchase certain supplies and equipment needed for hurricane preparedness exempt from sales tax.
The following items, with a selling price of $60 or less, can be purchase tax free during this period.
• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs and reusable ice
• Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 6 volt, 9 volt and cell phone batteries)
• Portable self-powered light source (flashlights, lanterns and glow sticks)
• Portable self-powered radios (including self-powered radios with electrical power capability)
• Two-way radios
• Weather band radios and NOAA weather radios
• Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths and other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Bungee cords, rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie down kids
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• Smoke detectors
• Fire extinguishers
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers
• Nonelectric food storage coolers
• Bottle water
• Manual can openers
• Storm shutter devices
• Cell phone chargers
• First aid kits
The following items, with a selling price of $1,000 or less, can be purchased exempt from sales tax during this period.
• Portable generators and generator power cords
• Inverters and inverter power cables.