Texas Emergency Preparation Sales Tax Holiday
Texas – A new Emergency Preparation Sales Tax Holiday Act was passed last year and took effect on September 1, 2015. The act states that emergency preparation items will be exempt from taxes on the last Saturday, before the last Monday in the month of April. For 2016, the dates are April 23rd through the 25th.
The following items are tax exempt:
- a portable generator less than $3,000.
- a storm protection device less than $300.
The following are tax exempt provided they are less than $75:
- a reusable or artificial ice product
- a portable, self-powered light source
- a gasoline or diesel fuel container
- a AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6 volt, or 9 volt battery, or a package containing more than one battery, other than an automobile or boat battery
- a nonelectric cooler or ice chest for food storage
- a tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting
- a ground anchor system or tie-down kit
- a mobile telephone battery or battery charger
- a portable self-powered radio, including a two-way radio or weather band radio
- a fire extinguisher, smoke detector, or carbon monoxide detector
- a hatchet or axe
- a self-contained first aid kit
- a nonelectric can opener
About Davis & Davis LLC – Sales Tax Experts: Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Davis & Davis LLC – Sales Tax Experts specializes in sales/use tax audit consulting and audit defense. Our team of consultants is comprised of former Big 4 sales tax consultants and state sales tax auditors. Each of our consultants has 15 to 20 years of experience, providing our clients with access to a highly specialized team of sales/use tax professionals. At Davis & Davis we are committed to maintaining the highest standards in our talent pool. We work hard to meet our clients’ needs by ensuring that you view our firm as an extension of your company and a member of your team.
For sales/use tax compliance questions or audit related concerns, we are here to help!
Contact us at:
Or call today for a consultation: