Florida Tax Holidays and Exemptions
Florida sales and use tax and property tax legislation is enacted that provides a number of tax holidays and temporary exemptions.
Sales and Use Tax Provisions
The legislation includes:
- a temporary two-year sales and use tax exemption from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024, on the retail sales of impact-resistant windows, doors, and garage doors;
- a temporary one-year sales and use tax exemption from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023, on the retail sale of baby and toddler clothing (excluding watches, watchbands, jewelry, umbrellas, or handkerchiefs), shoes, and children’s diapers, including single-use diapers, reusable diapers, and reusable diaper inserts;
- a temporary one-year sales and use tax exemption from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023, on the retail sale of ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators or combined refrigerator/freezers selling for $3,000 or less and water heaters, clothes washers, or dryers selling for $1,500 or less;
- a temporary three-month sales and use tax exemption from May 14, 2022 through August 14, 2022, on the retail sale children’s books;
- a reduction in the sales tax rate for new mobile homes from 6% to 3%;
- an exemption on the sale of admissions to: (1) any Formula One Grand Prix race and any qualifying or support race held at the circuit up to 72 hours before the Grand Prix race; (2) admissions to the Daytona 500 sanctioned by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing and any qualifying or support races held at the same track up to 72 hours before the Daytona 500; and (3) any World Cup match, including any qualifying match held up to 12 months before the World Cup;
- sales and use tax exemptions for farm trailers and fencing used in agricultural production, and machinery and equipment necessary to produce electrical or steam energy that results from burning hydrogen (i.e., used in the production of green hydrogen);
- a 14-day back-to-school sales tax holiday from July 25, 2022, through August 7, 2022, for certain clothing, school supplies, learning aids and puzzles, and personal computers;
- a 14-day disaster preparedness sales tax holiday from May 28, 2022, through June 10, 2022, for specified disaster preparedness supplies;
- a seven-day Freedom Week sales tax holiday from July 1, 2022, through July 7, 2022, for specified recreational items and activities; and
- a seven-day Tool Time sales tax holiday from September 3, 2022, through September 9, 2022, for tools and equipment commonly used in skilled trades.
About Davis Davis & Harmon LLC – Sales Tax Experts: Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Davis Davis & Harmon LLC – Sales Tax Experts specializes in sales/use tax refund recovery and audit defense. Our team of consultants is comprised of former Big 4 sales tax consultants and state sales tax auditors. Each of our consultants has 15 to 20 years of experience, providing our clients with access to a highly specialized team of sales/use tax professionals. At Davis Davis & Harmon, LLC, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards in our talent pool. We work hard to meet our clients’ needs by ensuring that you view our firm as an extension of your company and a member of your team.