Sales Tax Filing Guidelines for COVID-19 Pandemic
NATIONAL – Due to the impact of the COVID-19 Virus on businesses, many states have had to implement new state tax filing guidelines for individual and business tax filers.
- New York state, which is currently under a Statewide Shelter in Place waived penalties for late filing, late payment, and underpayment penalties for business and excise taxes originally due between 3/16/20 and 4/25/20.
- Texas Comptroller for Public Accounts has asked the business to continue to make an effort to submit all sales tax. The comptroller’s office is asking you to contact the Enforcement Hotline (1-800-531-5441) for assistance with short term payment agreements
- California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an Executive Order directing the Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization, and other California state agencies to extend due dates for tax filings and payments for individuals and businesses impacted by social distancing directives.
- The Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector for the City of San Francisco announced a deferral of the April 30, 2020 deadline for estimated quarterly payments of the city’s gross receipts tax, payroll expense tax, commercial rents tax, and homelessness gross receipts tax. This relief is available only to businesses whose combined San Francisco gross receipts for the calendar year 2019 did not exceed $10 million.
- Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot announced that his office would extend until June 1, 2020, the due date for making certain business-related tax filings currently scheduled in March, April, and May of this year. The Comptroller’s office also announced that the state of Maryland would conform to any extension the IRS announces in connection with the current April 15, 2020, deadline for individual and corporate income tax returns.
To find out what measures are taking place in your state, click on the link below.
About Davis Davis & Harmon LLC – Sales Tax Experts: Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Davis Davis & Harmon LLC – Sales Tax Experts specializes in sales/use tax refund recovery and audit defense. Our team of consultants is comprised of former Big 4 sales tax consultants and state sales tax auditors. Each of our consultants has 15 to 20 years of experience, providing our clients with access to a highly specialized team of sales/use tax professionals. At Davis Davis & Harmon, LLC we are committed to maintaining the highest standards in our talent pool. We work hard to meet our clients’ needs by ensuring that you view our firm as an extension of your company and a member of your team.
For sales/use tax compliance questions or audit-related concerns, we are here to help!